Fugitive Firefly

Running away with the last bit of hope

The first week

My trip to Ireland kicked off with an adventure. Due to massive miscommunication with my abroad program, I flew into Dublin instead of Shannon...with no idea how to get to Galway. Thankfully I met a nice Irish couple who made sure I got on the right bus. After five hours of staring out the window, being nervous about missing my stop, I had finally arrived.

An employee at the bus station armed me with a map and directions to my new home. She said I could take a cab, but since it was "only a 20 minute walk" I declined. I walk longer distances all the time back home, I thought to myself. Surely I can handle this.

But I was wrong.

You see, a map is really only helpful if there are roadsigns to match. And roadsigns in Ireland are few and far between. So, my 20 minute walk turned into 2 hours. Some locals tried to help, but when you've been awake for 30+ hours, not even the best of directions are helpful. In the end, I called a cab.

The next day my roommates and I explored more of the city. We went to Eyre Square, Shop St, the beach, and our host university-- Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh (National University of Ireland, Galway). Beautiful campus, I might add. During that week I learned a great deal about W.B. Yeats and Lady Gregory, and visited the beautiful homes they kept. OK, so Yeats lived in a tower that would flood during the winter, but I'd totally live there during the summer ;)

My first week abroad was pretty hectic, but things did not slow down from there. More tales soon to come!

1 comments:

sounds like you are having fun, can't wait to read your next adventure